Surgery Expert Forum
post surgery concerns

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

post surgery concerns

In May of '09 I had surgery to drain a cyst on my pancreas. After five months of recovery and actually starting to feel well I developed what I was told was a post-surgery hernia. Of course this developed exactly where my incision is from previous mentioned surgery. I then had surgery to repair the hernia using a mesh graft method. This was on the 28th of December. I returned to doctor a week later for follow up and was concerned I did something to re-injure hernia because of swelling. I was told this was fluid build up and is normal. My question is when does this fluid go away ? Its now going on four weeks and still am quite sore and have this fluid build up. Plus when I eat it only adds to the  discomfort. I have another follow up coming up or wonder if I should try and see doctor sooner. Tired of being miserable.
you probably have a postop wound seroma - common after mesh hernia repair
It may go away on its own over the next few weeks
It may also need to be drained with a needle - a minor out patient procedure
Still too early to say I think
Good luck