Surgery Expert Forum
surgical clips after gallbladder surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to: Abdomen, Breast, Chest, Complications, Extremities, Head and Neck, Hematology, Incisions, Infections, Laparoscopy, Lungs and Respiratory Tract, OBGYN, Oncology, Post Operative Management, Pre Operative Issues, Radiology Renal, Skin and Wounds, Sutures, Staples and Stitches Urology, and Vessels.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

surgical clips after gallbladder surgery

HI All! I had my gallbladder removed in December 2009 and shortly after began having severe pains in the left flank area. One of my regular doctors ordered a CT thinking I had a kidney stone, but ended up identifying a 4.5cm complex left adnexal mass (also noted surgical clips in LLQ) and reffered me to my GYN. I went to her for this which she could feel on exam and had a follow up ultrasound 4 weeks later which showed the mass still there so she decied it needed to come out. GYN was not sure it was gynecological because it seemed to sit above the ovary so I then consulted with the general surgeon who had removed my gallbladder but he did think it was gynecological. Finally after all of this my GYN went ahead with a diagnostic lap.  when she went in apparently the mass had resoved on its own (praise the lord) but that surgical clip noted on the ct was imbedded in some old scar tissue from having endometriosis removed on 2 seperate occasions. She did remove the clip.  I had 3 surgeries from 2004 - 2008 and all of those surgeons stated that they did not use surgical clips in the procedures, 2 diagnostic laps and a c-section. my general surgeon from the gallbladder admitted that he did but he worked in the RUQ. My question is does anyone know how a clip would have become free in the LLQ? Could it have come loose from my RUQ?  Or is it more likely a mistake made by one of the surgeons?