Swine Flu Community
Face Mask?

This community is for discussions relating to Swine Flu. Links to outside news sources will be permitted in this community to exchange information and keep up with this changing event.

View the archives of Dr. Enoch Choi's health chat on the swine flu

Face Mask?

Is it worth investing in a face mask to wear while this swine flu is going around?

Any good brands or certain ones in particular?
Below is a similar question asked on the Live Chat:

[what are the best mask to get for this swine flu and do you know where is the best place in Denver, Co to get them for adults and a child-age 3?  Or where best to get them online?Dr. Enoch Choi:
A properly fit-tested N95 mask is the best.  Dispose of when moist.  Available for adults, i haven't seen them for children.  can't say where to get them online, try a surgical supply store.]
Swine flu (all flu's in fact) can be transmitted just by touching your eye. The masks do squat and honestly dont really help all the much UNLESS you have the flu and are wearing it and then it prevents you from coughing and sneezing all over the place. I work for a medical company and we've all be laughing at how quickly people bought that bull sh*t about the masks. They only keep dust and allergens out not the flu.
Im confused.. theres all this talk about 'dont buy a mask' so why then are health workers the first to get them and the guys you see on tv are dressed not only with a face mask but head to toe like theres a nuclear fall out going on....
I have been researching the new micromask at www.nanomask.co.uk. I am thinking of getting some before it goes crazy.  The micromask is a N95 mask with a special flter in it.. I dont think they have childrens sizes...
In china they wear them a lot. What annoys me is workers I see especially in places like restaurants, and cafes, where they prep food sneezing all over the place, (not with swine flu ) but you know... they just dont care.. I walk out when I see this going on...
I honestly have a feeling that this swine flu thing is not going to be going away anytime soon.  It is going to be something that is all around the country sooner than later. I'm just worried about it, especially considering it is breaking out more and more in surrounding states. Does anyone else feel the same? Or am I the only concerned and worried one?
It says on AOL at the moment there will be a second wave in the autum / winter and its usually worse than the summer / or current one...  I think also the reason why they died in mexico and not in other places because in usa / uk etc the people sick got tamiflu fast and intime.. but in mexico it took too long before they found out what was wrong and then i guess the tamilfu was usless.. or not available?
Its bad enough trying to get to the doctors when its business as usual so god help us all if this gets mad.. as we wont be able to get tamiflu theres not enough to go round for a start!
ps I orderd from www.nanomask.co.uk  the new micromask face masks look good... and ill be getting more tins of tuna and pasta in so i dont have to go out... for a while if it goes all crazy... i think being prepared is a big big 'confidence booster' and if your prepared you wont panic as much as you know you can stay at home and not have to go out for supplies till its passed by or the worse of it has...
I think that getting supplies, staying inside, and wearing a mask is over reacting already.  This swine flu is a pandemic, but it hasn't killed more people than the regular flu strains that people get EVERY year.  Those flus have killed more people!  That would mean that you should wear a mask for the entire flu season-October through February in many places.  Even people who do not go to the doctor who have this flu have been getting over it just like any other flu.  The only people who really do need to worry are those with underlying health problems.  If you look at the cases of people who have died, they have all had underlying conditions such as hearth problems, lung diseases, pregnancy, or elderly and very young children.  Please take some time to research this on medical websites, not just reading the silly media that makes everything sound so bad.
Also, the reason that healthcare workers or people who are exposed to others who could be sick wear the masks is to stop the spread.  Most healthcare workers themselves aren't doing it to protect themselves, but the other sick people they are helping who have compromised immune systems already.
A standard respirator isn't going to do much to help you. You can get the flu through contact with your eyes, as well, and even if that wasn't the case, most respirators aren't designed to repel biological threats. If you get something, get a full mask with CB or NBC filters, and save it for the worst-case scenario: if the virus mutates to become more deadly. Nothing less will offer any considerable protection. If you're going to get the swine flu, now is the time--it's mostly benign, and building an immunity to it now could prove invaluable later if it does get worse. There's no point in hiding from it for the time being.
Have you looked into the CAD diet?  I found it on another forum and it looks promising!
About this N95 mask, If I buy one piece of it ,til how much time ,I can use it?
I mean to say what is the validity period of it once some one start using it.
The CDC has recommended that individuals use respirators as opposed to face masks to reduce flu this season. While face masks help protect the wearers mouth and nose from bodily fluids, they provided little to no defense in protecting the wearer from breathing in tiny hazardous particles. Respirators have the ability to filter those particles, and fit more snug on the face.
CDC's recommendation applies to health care workers and those at high risk of complications.

There is no broad recommendation for everybody to wear masks or respirators.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/masks.htm
It wouldn’t hurt to have one, and if nothing else it will add peace of mind in the event one of your family members gets the swine flu.
Don't waste your money on a mask. And stop worrying. Have a great winter.