Swine Flu Community
booster

This community is for discussions relating to Swine Flu. Links to outside news sources will be permitted in this community to exchange information and keep up with this changing event.

View the archives of Dr. Enoch Choi's health chat on the swine flu

booster

My 4 year old son had the swine flu shot on October 22. The paperwork stated that he would need a booster in 4 weeks. When I called his Dr. to schedule it, I was told he didn't need a booster. When I questioned why this didn't match the informational sheet I was given a long and rambling explanation of how the regular flu shot along with the swine flu shot was enough. I think it's just that there is a shortage. Anyone know anything about this?
I wa told that when they gave children a dose and that they would require a boost that a dose would be saved for them so they could for sure have it even if there was a shortage.. So I am not sure what could have happened I would push it and demand to know about the conflicting reports as i believe kids are still requiring the boost and getting the seasonal flu shot is a totally differant strain shot so no that doesn't make since that it would make up protection for only one h1n1 vaccine if that makes since!!! Good luck :-)
children under the age of 10 need  a 2nd h1n1 shot a month later.   It doesn't matter if they got both flu shots, they still need the 2nd shot.

grace
this comes directly from the CDC's website :

How many doses of nasal spray vaccine are needed?

In adults, only one dose of 2009 H1N1 vaccine, including the 2009 H1N1 nasal spray vaccine, is needed for protection.

All children 2 through 9 years of age getting a 2009 H1N1 vaccine will need two doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine (either the 2009 H1N1 flu shot or the 2009 H1N1 nasal spray vaccine), The first dose should being given as soon as vaccine becomes available. The second dose should be given 28 or more days after the first dose. The first dose "primes" the immune system; the second dose provides immune protection. Children who only get one dose of vaccine when they need two doses may have reduced or no protection. Be sure to follow up to get your child a second dose if they need one. It usually takes about two weeks after the second dose for protection to begin.