Swine Flu Community
doctors excue

This community is for discussions relating to Swine Flu. Links to outside news sources will be permitted in this community to exchange information and keep up with this changing event.

View the archives of Dr. Enoch Choi's health chat on the swine flu

doctors excue

My 4 year old son has the flu.  The doctor prescribed tamiflu and said to keep him home for a week.  He was not tested for swine flu because I was told it wa unnecessary.  However, my job is requiring a letter from the doctor stating my son has H1N1 in order for me to use my paid sick time to stay home and take care of him.  Otherwise, I will not get paid (which would be extremely hard on my family).  Is this an unreasonable thing to ask for from a physician?
It's not an unreasonable question at all.  Call and tell them you need a note stating your son has the flu.  They should not mind at all.  
No,  a doctor is required to provide this if he is the one requesting that the child stay home.  Hopefully by now, you have the proper letter.  Good luck and I hope your little guy is feeling better.  
By the way, in my state they do not test everyone for H1N1 but assume they have it if the symptoms match.  They only test for emergency cases and this is at the hospital level.  But regardless if it is true H1N1 that your son has, a doctor must provide a written excuse if they've requested that a child stay home for a week for whatever reason it is.  Good luck.