TTC Over 40 User Group
Maternit21 test
About This Group:

support group for women who are trying to conceive or have conceived a child over the age of forty

Founded by naturschld on October 1, 2009
412 members

Maternit21 test

Got the results back from the Maternit21 test I took.  Dr's office said it would take 2 wks but got them back in 8 days.  Very happy to say that the results were negative for any problems w/ the tri's.  They also have the sex of the baby; told them I will let them know if I decide to find it out.  So far, I've made it to 12 wks and am hoping everything is ok.  I would highly suggest taking this test as an alternative to the more invasive and possibly harmful cvs and amnio.  
Can youbrxplain the test please.  Am a bit clueless.
And congratulations on reaching the 12 weeks and hoping all goes well.
Here is some info from the company that offers it:

We are proud to offer our patients an exciting new testing option called MaterniT21 Plus. This prenatal screen is a new blood test offered through Sequenom Center for Molecular Medicine. This screen is designed to detect increased amounts of material from chromosome 21 (Down syndrome), chromosome 13 (trisomy 13) and chromosome 18 (trisomy 18) and requires only a maternal blood sample after 10 weeks of gestation. At this time MaterniT21 Plus screening is available to patients meeting one or more of the following criteria:

•Advanced maternal age (35 years or older at the time of delivery)
•Family history
•Abnormal prenatal ultrasound findings
•Increased risk based on screening results
The benefit of this screen is the high detection rates and low false-positive rates for these chromosome abnormalities with no risk to the pregnancy.

•99.1% detection for Down syndrome
•99.9% detection for trisomy 18
•91.7% detection for trisomy 13

Hope this helps!  And thanks!

Thanks, vwuite useful information. I remember the genetic counsellor talking about blood test that checks the tris but I did not investigate. I wish many people who are going through invasive procedures knew about it. Thank you
mhv I took the twins to n amuse... Comment
12 mins ago
mhv commented on photo
16 mins ago
mhv commented on photo
17 mins ago