Teen Depression Community
Am I just a Kid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

Am I just a Kid?

So I don't really know what's going on. I'm a 16 year old girl.  I've been feeling sad for no good reason lately.  I don't ever want to get out of bed, but when I do go to bed I can't sleep. I cry all the time.  The people in my life I have always wanted to talk to I now can't stand.  I feel like I hate my friends.  I hate myself.  I don't really think I'm a good person.  Everyday I think of a way I could die or kill myself or something.  I've been feeling used by everyone I thought I loved.  I'm just sad all the time.  I cut myself.  I don't want anyone to find out. I don't do it in places people generally see. I don't really know why I started but now I'm addicted...and the worst part about it is that I don't really see whats wrong with it.  If it makes me feel good why shouldn't I? Things I used to like don't make me happy anymore.  My friends make me angry. Everyone makes me angry.  I think I might be bipolar, I told my mom but she seemed to think I wasn't and that every teenager goes through this. Not the cutting part cuz she doesn't know about that. But anyways my questions are:
Am I just a teenager and just need to suck it up? AND Why is cutting bad?
I think you are indeed depressed and could possibly benefit from therapy and medication. Many of the symptoms you describe, sleeplessness, crying all the time, the cutting, short temper, shutting out people who care about you, not caring anymore about the things and people that you used to care about; all these are symptoms of depression. And if you're thinking about suicide, you need to see someone as soon as possible. I think it's time to get honest with your mom and dad so that they can get you the help you need. You don't have to feel this way.
My daughter started cutting herself about two years ago at the age of 14. So I know what you're going through. We did get her into counseling and she's a lot better but some of those scars she'll have forever. The thing with cutting is it's a symptom of a much bigger problem. You are trying to hurt yourself either because you are trying to avoid a bigger pain in your life and trying to numb it or you're cutting because you already feel numb and cutting reminds you that you're alive. There are many reasons why it's a bad idea. Like you said, it's addictive. You feel relief when you cut so you will start to do it more and more. And sometimes you have to cut deeper to feel anything. The danger in that is you could cut too deep and hit an artery or bleed to death or get a bad infection. Like any addiction, you're trying to cover up a bigger problem instead of dealing with it. So cutting, even if it temporarily seems to find you some relief, doesn't last and the problems are always there. That's why it's important to seek counseling with someone experienced with cutting and teenagers. Something is going on inside of you that you need to deal with and get out before it destroys you.
You are too precious to let this continue. You are not only damaging your body but also your spirit and you will slowly shut down until you don't feel anything if you don't get some help now. Please don't hurt yourself anymore. You are a precious child of God and your life means something! You are here on this earth for a reason and your life has a purpose. You are important! There is no one else on this earth like you! Please, please be brave and tell your parents what's going on so that they can get you some help so that you can be on the road to healing. There is hope! You don't have to feel this way. You can be happy and fulfilled. And you deserve that! You deserve the best life can give you. It's not hopeless. There are many people who have been in your shoes and found hope again.
I will say a prayer for you that you can be brave enough to tell your parents and that you can find that help and hope again. God bless you. Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing. I care.
I go throu the same thing as you except the cutting I definitely cry all the time anyway
I don't know what to do either so I can't help sorry

love KateLG
u need desperately a good friend wit whom u can share ur probs and sort out answers its quite easy  jus search a trustfull friend in neighbourhood i guess ur best friend may be ur mom plz dont hide any thing frm ur parents , also do some yoga it keeps ur soul very peacefull , hope u understood bye enjoy life
to answer your first question yes you are a completely normal teenager HOWEVER you do have a problem.    its called depression many people expierince it and you just happen to have it severly.    its a chemical embalance in your brain that NEEDS to be treated with counseling and possinbly medication.    also please if your parents are good people trust them confide in them, and if you dont feel comfortable being honest with them you need to talk to a school psychologist or a counselor or something so that they can help you.    just please get help for this, your life can change i swear it can i have been through depression to.     the numbness goes away if you fight to make it.   so i beg of you please do

and secondly cutting is bad for many reasons.    first of all because it can be deadly.   i know your thinking your more skilled than that however people who go untreated with it ALWAYS slip, ALWAYS.   because they have to keep cutting deeper and deeper till finally what they need is too deep.    secondly it is an addiction, thirdly because you begin to use it to moderate your feelings.   instead of dealing with life the normal way like most people you deal with it by cutting.    its a coping mechanism and a very unhealthy one.
I Went Through The Same Thing You Are. I Cut Myself And Not Only Did I Think Of Ways To Kill Myself, But I Tried To Several Times. Please Get Some Help Before Its Too Late. If You Ever Want To Talk I'm Here. I Could Even Give You My Email If You Want So You Have Someone To Talk To Who Kows What Your Going Though And Knows How You Feel.
Ok, that was just weird and not helpful at all, I think.
This girl has serious depression and was looking for help and advice.
mishymoshymarcy I will NOT sink. Marcy come... Comment
knew it wouldnt last that long...
9 hrs ago by mishymoshymarcy
SRS2 commented on Sleep Apnea and Night...