Teen Depression Community
Completely Lost

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

Completely Lost

I am a mum of three children.  My oldest child, my son is 17.  I am struggling every day with him.  He is seeing a psychologist at the moment who has diagnosed him as having depression.  My problem is he sleeps all day and is awake all night, and every single night he kicks off without fail.    He is a big tall lad, and is very threatening in his manner.  He is so demanding of attention it is unreal... to the point where he sat in front of me the other day and said 'take notice of me'.  Tonight I asked him to go upstairs so I could have some space because he was winding his younger brother up (he is 10) and getting aggressive.  He refused point blank.  Just kept saying 'Why should I'.  His manner is so threatening.  I dread every single night.  The only peace we have now in the house is through the day when he is asleep.  I have told him I am going to tell the psychologist about his behaviour and he ended up screaming 'You Crazy Psycho *****' at me.  My other two children are in bed and he is stomping around the house screaming at me.  I can't cope.  I have had a social worker here to assess whether my other children (my son who is 10 and my daughter who is 13) are safe because my daughter told a teacher at school what my oldest son was like and the teacher reported it to Children's services.  I am honestly starting to hate my son and I am so ashamed about it.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do.. I am completely and utterly lost.
Thank you.
Enroll this young man into the police academy.
He is showing attributes that could accomodate this atmosphere.  His frustration is from an injustice (most likely a situation at school).  Help him funnel this into a reason to work through a difficulty rather than bring everyone into it.  Let me know.
there is apparently more then just depression (bipolar?drug abuse?)you must consult psychiatrist not psychologist
has the psychologist been trying to address the rage issues?  I would also suggest it might be time for a psychiatrist, and possibly some meds along with the psychology

i have worked with several students with issues like these, and i must say that a residential treatment centre (where he'd live, learn and be treated at least until he is stable) might be the best situation for him.  you would have to speak to the social worker and/or psychologist about programs in/serving your area.  A good residential treatment program could be the best care you could give him.
Thank you for your responses.  Unfortunately I live in the UK and am unsure of the facilities for adolecent (adolescent) mental health issues here.  Infact even our GP was unsure who to refer him to.  He is now seeing a psychologist, but I do feel that some sore of residential placement would be good... even the police academy, but we do not have that here.  
I have spoken to our GP about medication but he is reluctant.  
Still lost.
mishymoshymarcy God please dont let me lose... Comment
1 hr ago
JD1963 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
nursegirl6572 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...