Teen Depression Community
Cutting and not myself

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

Cutting and not myself

Im a 14 yr old girl and i havent been feeling like myself for probly 2 months now. Ive started cutting my arms for about 3-4 weeks and im not enjoying the things that i used to. I feel like i need to help everybody such as my friends who also cut. Idont think i have depression because ill feel normal some days then have a couple of days of unknown sadness about myself or my friend. Please sugest what i should do but please dont say im over reacting because i started cutting when i was dealing with a suicidal best friend. And do you think i have a problem? :(
You could be depressed yourself.  You don't have to be sad 24/7.  Some people just have memory problems or other symptoms; it's how it was for my mom.  I would say to seek professional help.

As far as in the interim, you can grab a cube of ice any time you get the urge to cut.  Then, hold that ice and let it melt completely even when it starts feeling like it's burning.  While you're holding the ice, start watching a happy movie that you like or listening to upbeat music--whatever will get your mind off what's triggering you to cut.

I'd also suggest some journaling.  Figure out what's going on with you.  You can't help others unless you're 100% yourself.  I know what it's like to be that way.  It's how I am.  I want to help even when I know I'm spread too thin and suffering myself.  I end up losing myself.  Every time.  Sometimes it takes a long time, other times only a short time.  But it will happen.

Take care of yourself!  Don't be afraid to talk to a counselor at school or even ask to see one outside of school.
Unfortunetely, yes, all of your symptoms are signs of serious deppression, I recommend you see a psychologist, they can prescribe ant--deppressants, try not to cut, but if it is that or suicide, go with cutting, the meds can have you feeling like your old self in no time, feel better!
i love that ice cube idea...wish someone told me that yrs ago...wouldnt have so many scars
Well if u need to get rid of scars, use bio oil it realy works. If i stopped cutting for a month and continue to use the oil everyday, i can hardly see them anymore :)
amethystgl commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
mishymoshymarcy I thought disappointing you... Comment
Oct 01
Stressing, disappointing myself onc...
Oct 01 by mishymoshymarcy