Teen Depression Community
HELP!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

HELP!!!

ok..im 14 and a girl. I know I'm depressed but I cant bear to even think about telling anyone. I dont really have a best friend even though i have a bunch of friends. I cry almost every day when I get home for no apparent reason. I mean I cry because when I'm left alone(which is alot) I tend to think about death, and how f-ed up the world is and how I feel like we all constantly judge eachother and how depressing the world really is and its kind of a downward spiral from there..Me and my family have had issues ever since 2 years ago when my mom had a stroke. She's disabled now. She can walk and do stuff but things are difficult for her. About 2 weeks ago she tried to kill herself because her and my dad have been having issues. I can barely speak to her. I can barely look at her. I'm so incredibly pissed and I dont want to be. I didnt need her **** to deal with on top of everything else....I drink occasionally..only enough to get a slight buzz and to take my mind off of my problems which i know is really bad..I go to sleep usually around 3 and I have to wake up at 5 for school...All i ever really do is surf the internet and listen to semi depressing music that I can relate to. I really need a way to fix myself without telling my parents or my doctor. I dont want my family to show sympathy towards me. Sorry this is kind of all over the place but can you help please?
Hi, sorry to hear about your mum and how you are feeling.
I just wanted to say that the reason your feeling depressed is because you arent sleeping enough. Harvard psychiatry Professor Robert Stickgold argues that lack of sleep causes depression and I'm sure you know that sleeping 2 hours a night is ABSOLUTELY going to create a problem. If you are tired your brain doesnt function normally and positive thinking towards your life becomes difficult. Also listening to depressing music and doing nothing but using the internet is obviously going to make you feel ****! You have to get outside, move your eyeline and look away from the screen...because it will send you mad

What you need to do is start thinking positively about your life. What works for me is saying to myself a number of times a day "I love and accept myself just the way i am" "I am grateful for my life"  (i know it sounds a bit stupid- i'm a cynical person and I actually do think this works) Whilst i have bipolar and still get mood swings, doing this has made it quite a bit better.

Also what you don't want to do is go to a doctor and get pills (unless it is seriously, seriously necessary AND at least after your 18 if nothing else has worked). Doctors WILL prescribe something for you if you go there and say "im depressed" even if it could have been solved without pills. Medication is a seriously **** path - there are so many side effects and they dont even always work.

And just remember... you are 14!! Being a teenager ***** and you will feel lost and unhappy - its hormones... i know your family maybe makes it harder but you will be fine, i promise!

If you need to talk to someone go to a school counsellor or community mental health center.. or maybe just talk to people on an online forum
Hey, sorry to hear that things arent going too well in your life, and i hope things work out for you.

I'm 14 too and i believe ive experienced a somewhat depressive time lately and honestly one of the best things i did was tell my my close friend.

I knew she was someone who would care about what i had to say without judging and we're close enough that she would give me honest advice. I understand that you may be afraid of what they may think but just try telling one friend how you feel and you might feel a bit better after getting it off your chest.

And also harming your health for the sake of being upset is definately not a good thing. Ive learnt that the hard way and now its affecting my life and i regret it everyday, so i wouldnt want the same for you or anyone else.

Be happy and try and find the best in life even in the toughest times. If you feel upset try writing it down in a diary/journal or go for a walk.

I hope ive helped in some way :) xx
I know its hard hun. I am 16 and whent through a drug/ drinking phase last year. I have self harm since i was like 12 (for like 5 years in counting) its hard. you have to find more positive ways to replace it. try to find a suport group like http://www.****.org every one there is super suportive :)
mishymoshymarcy I have a heart full of ambi... Comment
JD1963 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
nursegirl6572 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
Apr 18