Teen Depression Community
How do I stop depression from ruining my life?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

hi, I'm 12 nearly 13 and recently I've not been acting like myself, i haven't been able to sleep properly i feel claustrophobic and like my family expects more from me. I feel alone like I can't tell my friends and family how sad I'm always feeling now, i don't enjoy all the sports i used to love playing and sometimes I feel like life's not worth living. I get angry so easily and then when the angers gone i feel hollow inside. I'm barely ever happy now and when i do i feel like I'm the happiest person in the world and then when that's feelings gone again i feel even more depressed. how do I stop depression from ruining my life?
Hello. I know exactly how you feel, although my circumstance may not be very severe, i feel the exact same way. Do you see a counsellor? If you don't, i suggest you see one. I am 13 turning 14 and for that reason cannot give you much advice, seeing i am stuck too. What i have learn't is to focus on the happy things. Also do things that bring you pleasure. e.g listen to HAPPY songs, or read an inspiring book, etc. I have also heard that laughter is the best therapy. So why don't you go out with your friends and have a good time. They are sure to make you laugh. I hope you find help soon.
Also I wouldn't really suggest telling your friends, unless one of them are in the same situation as you. They may not understand that's all. It may hurt in the beginning, the fact that they have no clue how you are feeling, however it's for the best. Although as i said if you have really understanding friends, then maybe, but otherwise i wouldn't say anything. That is even what my counsellor said. So yeah, my friends have no idea how sad i am all the time. HOwever your family, they are the ones you should tell. Tell one of your parents. It may be a little uncomfortable at first, however they love you more than anyone else, and talking about it is fantastic! It brings alot of relief trust me. Also are you into hugs? They do me really well.
Your having a lot of changes going on in your body right now, your horomones are going NUTS!!! You will feel a bit different, however all that you have said here, I would say tell your parents how you feel and see a Dr, parents understand a lot more than you think they do. Your Mom or Dad may have felt the same way at your age. IF you just cant tell your parents, tell your Dr, they can't tell your parents anything that you don't want them to tell them. Good luck :)
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
mishymoshymarcy "Time you enjoy wasting, is... Comment
mishymoshymarcy commented on ash009's status