Teen Depression Community
I don't know what to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

I don't know what to do?

I'm a 13 year old girl and For the past few months I have been really sad. I think I'm really depressed. I have been generally sad all the time. I cry myself to sleep. I can't have fun with my friends. I'be always been shy and self concious but now it's worse than ever. I feel guilty about everything and I really really want to tell my parents but I'm scared they will be mad because they expect a lot. Like straight As. I want to do acting but they never really approved. I take lessons and they approve of that but not of acting professionally. I told my friend and Thant was great but Im too scared to tell my parents. What should I do
I also really want to commit suicide and I have a knife
Hey you...:-) I've just read your post and just want you to know that what your feeling is soooo typical and normal honey! Oh please dont think of desperate measures! I am a mom of 3girls, ages 14, 11,and 8. My two older girls, especially my 14 year old have gone thru similar situations! My oldest, when she was 12 started "cutting" and she was quite negative and sad, just like you described! But what I did was remind her that I too was once that age and also a girl(in case she forgot:-P) and I remember my moments if super dark holes that I thought I'd NEVER get out of!! She almost refused to believe me, its kinda funny really... But I remember the same about my mom! Its hard to imagine your own parent seeming lost and afraid, but I swear to you, your own mom was once that way as well once upon a time! So, eventually she began to open up...very slowly... BuT I assured her that as we hit those changing years our hormones DO get the best of us! Nothing seems right- it feels like this feeling of sadness or worthlessness will be there forever! But as the months pass, you begin to see a pattern to your emotions and a rhythm to the ups and downs you experience. Oh sweetie! This is sooo normal I would hate for you to think it was anything but! I know it seems almost impossible, but try to imagine your mom as a 13 year old, even just ask her to tell you stories of her most embarrassing moments when she was your age. Ask her to think back and try to confide in you what her fears were and how did she ever get through that time of her life?! ALL BEFORE you even begin to confide in her yourself! Its almost like your interviewing her... I know it may seem kinda dumb, but your sudden interest in her past will begin to open her up and when you start to see the common thread between you two(the one that connects ALL us women really!) you will understand that this woman who is sooo confident now, used to be just as sad, or maybe even sadder, than you have ever felt! So please, you are a beautiful gift that was given to your parents! And although it may seem like they expect nothing but perfection from you, I can guarantee they would do ANYTHING to help you when you feel you are at your saddest moments! I send you much love, much comfort, and most of all, all the strength in the world to remember that the world is a more perfect place with those of you who have the courage to reach out for help! By expressing your weakness, to make others strong to do the same!! And maybe one day when this has passes(and IT WILL) you will remember to reach out and help someone who was just like you!! Please update how it goes! Bless you!
Thank. I will tell them
madie731 i lost a good friend :( Comment
Dec 23
Jemma084 joined this community
Welcome them!
Dec 22
fessie1080 commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Dec 19