Teen Depression Community
My depression is getting better, but my urges to self harm are only get...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

My depression is getting better, but my urges to self harm are only getting worse?

I have been struggling with depression for two years now. I self harm and I'm trying to quit. I was finally officially diagnosed and started medication a bit over a month ago. I feel so much better than I used to and I only feel depressed once in a while now, but for some reason I always still have urges to cut. I haven't cut for a few months except once, but I just always want to, even if i'm having a great day. I don't know why I still want to so badly and i don't know how to stop wanting to. It's getting harder and harder to resist and i don't want to go back to cutting all the time again. Idk what to ask, i just don't know what to do...
I've felt like this. I found a technique where if you want to cut; you draw a butterfly there instead. It's worked with me. Try it.
I had this as well. Though I never took meds so my depression and anger were there as well. Violet's suggestion is awesome! You need to try channeling that urge into something else (like drawing). For me (because of the anger) I would make myself do push ups or something like that. It was a form of physical pain which I seemed to need but more productive than cutting. Hope this helps! And goodluck!!
SRS2 commented on Sleep Apnea and Night...
Nighthawk61 commented on Promises to myself
mishymoshymarcy commented on Promises to myself
Dec 13