Teen Depression Community
What to talk about with therapist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

What to talk about with therapist?

I've been depressed for about a year and a half, and started going to a nurse practitioner (basically a therapist) every two weeks for the last 2 months or so. She has put me on antidepressants, which has made things better, but I never know what to say when I have an appointment with her. She knows I have social anxiety so it's hard for me to just open up about things, but it's hard for me to even think about things to talk about. I'm worried that it's becoming a waste of time and money. Any thoughts?
I've been to therapy off and on since I was 13. I'm now 35. In that entire time there was only ONE therapist I just poured my heart and soul to. Any therapist will tell you, sometimes you just need to find the right "fit" with a therapist. Maybe discuss this with your therapist your next session. Another option, is keep a journal of how you are day to day, and what goes on around you. What sets you "off" ? When you have a sort of list/script to reminds yourself why you're there.. it may help you to open up.
I had the same problem when I used to see a therapist.  I suggest that in between visits you jot down things that are bothering you on paper and that way you won't forget what to ask during the session.
mishymoshymarcy I wish i wasnt so attached ... Comment
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Oct 28
Maybe, just maybe...
Oct 28 by mishymoshymarcy