Teen Depression Community
depressed by movies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen depression, abuse, aggressive behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, anxiety, behavioral issues, fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, grief loss, parent issues, relationship problems, school issues, self-esteem, sexuality, sleep disorders, and step-families.

depressed by movies

Hi, I'm 16 years old and I'm not really an unhappy person and I'm not depressed all the time like some people but I do have a question. You see, whenever I watch a movie that I saw when I was really little or anything I get depressed, I don't know why. My little brother watches pokemon and although I couldn't care less about it now, just a month or two ago I sat down with him and watched an episode and that made me depressed as well. Whenever a movie does that to me I feel miserable for usually the next couple weeks, and in that time the only thing that makes me happy is to watch the same movie over and over and over again. Even if it's not particularly good. Yesterday I saw the movie "Anastasia", which I haven't seen probably since a year or two after it came out. The movie isn't all that good but it still depressed me enough that in order to stop feeling that way I have to watch it over and over again. Really it's the song at the end of "Anastasia" that depresses me for some reason.
   Anyway I'm not normally an unhappy person... My parents have split up and I'm not very social with people but that's just the way I am. I have had no deaths or anything really close to me in my family so I don't know why I get the way I do. I know that I have a good life and I'm actually lucky. I have a place to live and I never go hungry so why is it that movies from my past make me feel the way I do?
films, particularly childrens ones are a simple form of escapism, so it is highly possible that you are somehow venting out repressed emotions through viewing a film. Do you perhaps have unreolved feelings, mabye involving your childhood? It's perfectly natural to be affected by watching a film and getting emotionally affected,just like some people become very depressed when listening to certain genres of music etc.
I understand how you feel of course, after viewing the little mermaid when I was younger I developed a strong phobia of octopuses and fish, so much so that now everyt ime I go ast a sushi shop I cry.
I think you may be feeling really sentimentel. Maybe your parents divorce affected you in a way you arent really concious of. When I watch old films I get upset because it reminds me of times when I have watched them before, with my family, or just what was going on in my life when I watched the film, when my family was still together and when I was at a better stage in my life. Maybe you could try thinking positively about the films. The way you watch them over and over may be a slight form of obsessive compulsive disorder, search symtons of this in a search engine if youre concerned. But maybe you just miss the past slightly? I don't know and I'm only guessing at a few things, but I hope you can start to feel positively about this.
mishymoshymarcy The worst thing you could e... Comment
Nov 27
mishymoshymarcy commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Nov 27
Nighthawk61 commented on I gotta face my fears...
Nov 24