16 year old daughter - high dhea sulfate
My 16 daughter has been experiencing irregular heavy prolonged irregular periods(up to 10 days) on and off for a year.  After taking her to the GYN she discovered her DHEA sulfate was 441 and did an office ultrasound and noticed a 1 inch cyst on her left ovary which she said was normal.  Her Gyn recommended that she should start Birth Control pills to regulate her periods.  The high DHEA sulfate level did not seem concerning to the doctor and only mentioned that one day she may need "clomid" (sp?) to have children.  Would it be recommended to take her to an endocrinologist or is this something thats commonly seen and does not need to be addressed further?  I don't want to put my daughter through unnecessary testing or any worries but dont want to ignore anything important either.  Thanks so much.

concerned mom :(
Hi!
Honestly speaking, yes, it would be great if your daughter can see an endocrinologist or an infertility expert. Both these specialists are trained to look after hormonal disorders likely to affect a woman’s menstrual cycle and her ability to conceive in future. High DHEA sulfate levels are seen in adrenal hyperplasia, PCOD, adrenocortical tumor, or adrenal cancer. This is usually treated by a combination of medications. At times surgery is required. Do discuss this with a specialist. Take care!