Teen Health Community
Am I depressed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Am I depressed?

Hello people. I was wondering how long symptoms have to be present for despair to actually be considered depression. I read stuff about depression online and I feel like I see a lot of these signs in myself, but I might be overdramatacizing or looking for a diagnosis. I know that I have had low self esteem for many years but I only realized it a few months ago. I also haven't been eating very much lately, and I feel like the only person in the world I can talk to is my little sister, but I hate burdening her with this because she has pretty much everything I have but worse in the not eating area. Lately (since the begining of this school year, I am in high school) I have had trouble focusing.
Hi!
You are right! Most of us feel out of the blue, sad, and disgusted with life time and again. Many also suffer from low self-confidence which can further aggravate these feelings. However, as you realize, all such feelings are not depression. In depression, the feelings are the same. Only they persist for weeks and affect the person’s daily activities. In later stages the person becomes totally withdrawn from the outer world.
It is difficult to diagnose whether you have depression or not. Since you are in high school, talk to your school counselor. All such discussions are confidential, so please do not worry on that account. Openly discuss your feelings and problems and if the counselor feels you need help, then please consult a specialist immediately. Take care!