Teen Health Community
Belly Button piercing hurting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Belly Button piercing hurting

i got my belly button pierced 4 days ago. It hurts really bad. The bottom part doesn't hurt but the top is sore and a little red. What do I use to clean it besides dial soap and how long does it take to heal. They didn't tell me any of this when I got it down. I kind of wish I didn't get it done now. Its cute but I don't know it hurts really bad.
Did you get this done by a professional? Did they use sterile equipment and gloves when they did it? I don't know if it's different with the belly button. Did they tell you to use dial soap and not alcohol or the sterile cleaning solution they give you when you pierce your ears?

I've heard it does hurt more with the belly button. You have more nerves there I guess! With the ears, it's just cartlidge. I also heard it takes longer to heal.

You might want to have your doctor look at it just to make sure you don't have any infection. If it's just a little red I would think it's probably ok. But if it gets any darker or warm to the touch, go in immediately! My daughter got her ears pierced once and that day a dog licked her ear when she was playing with him. Her ear turned dark red and then purple. We took the earing out because I was worried about it. We had to get them redone later.

It's important to keep it clean and not to touch it a lot. Your hands have oils and stuff on them. I still think it's a good idea to have the doctor look at it. It doesn't mean you have to take it out. He may just be able to tell you how to keep it clean better.

As for the pain, I don't know what to tell you! Try taking tylenol or motrin and see if that helps. I hope it heals up real fast for you!
Best wishes.
I got my belly pierced 8 years ago, Im 47 now and still love it.
Keep the area very clean at all times and avoid touching the area with your fingers as they carry germs.
You may have an infection and need antibiotics.
Go see your doctor.
ya i got it done and they told me to use to dial soap bc i didnt buy the cleaning stuff for it. but its just really sore and a little red. i guess i should go to the doctors to have them check it out. i havent had it for a week yet. but maybe this is just the symptoms of a new belly piercing.
Hi again
As with all piercings it can go a bit red and be sore for a while.
Go to a pharmacy and buy the proper cleaning solution, but if its still sore in a few days, swells or you get a feever then definitely go see your doctor.
Good luck.
Once they heal they do look lovely.
ok thanks sooo much! it doesn't hurt at all anymore. i got the salt cleaning stuff and it works amazing. it helps with the itching. now its just all the white crusty stuff but my doctor said thats a sign its healing. i'm so excited for it to heal and get a new really cute belly ring.
use salt water, i have mine done and its just fine
Well I wouldn't know whether or not it's an infestion, but everyone knows you never remove the ring during the first few weeks of the piercing. you clean it with an antibacerial cleanser ( Hibiclens) and move the ring aronud to let the cleanser seep through, rinse with warm water and pat dry with a clean cloth. do it atleast twice a day for a week, if there is no progress, then see a doctor. Also, don't wear tigh clothing, it creates an irritation.