Teen Health Community
Doctor Appointment :

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Doctor Appointment :

I am 16 years old and weigh 89 pounds at 5 feet 3 inches. I haven't had my period for 7months so my mom is taking me into the doctors next Monday. She thinks I might need to gain weight but I really don't want to gain weight because I am a long distance runner.
What will they do at this doctors appointment? Will they draw blood, do a physical exam, or just ask me questions. I am really nervous!!! I have never had my blood drawn so I am kind of freaking out about that too.
I have had my period three times before the stopping of it 7months ago, but it was never regular and I would get it about every 3 months instead of every 28 days.
What couldbe wrong with me and what are they going to do at this doctors appointment???
It sounds like you need to see a doctor and have a complete physical which would include bloodwork. If you are scared about the needles ask, or have your mother ask, the tech to use a 'butterfly' needle; that's what they use on babies and small children and you can hardly feel it. It sounds like you are underweight for your size and being a long distance runner; that is not a good combination for you to be in. Your body is growing and maturing and without the proper diet, with that much exercise, your body is going to be taking away from other areas of the body and that includes muscle development. The thing is, no one is going to want you to become overweight; they are going to want you to be at a 'healthy weight' ; there is a distinct difference. Without proper diet and weight, you won't be able to keep running which is what you really want to do, right? See the doctor and have him help you reach that goal.
What do you think they will actually do for the physical exam other than a blood test? I hate doctors and I am really nervous. What do they normally do at these types of appointments?
The doctor will feel your throat, look in your mouth, listen to your heart and lungs. He may check your hands and nails. He may look at your eyes. They will probably do a urine test so you may want to make an early morning appointment and wait to get to the appointment to get that sample, or if they are going to do that test maybe your mother could get the cup the day before for you to bring it to the appointment. Just general things like that. He may choose to do an EKG to check the electrical system of the heart as well, some doctors will do that, not all. It really is nothing to be afraid of, it really isn't. The bloodwork is important because it will tell him things like if you are anemic or how your kidneys are functioning, things like that; things that he may not be able to tell by just looking at you. You should see the doctor.