Teen Health Community
Extended Menstruation Cycle
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Extended Menstruation Cycle

Hi,
I am 18, but this problem has been going on for what seems my entire teenage hood. I started puberty very early at age 10 and I have never really had a regular period. It's like, I never know when it's coming. But when I do get it, it always comes in a different way. Sometimes, it's the worst cramps ever. Sometimes its heavy bleeding for only a few days. Sometimes its heavy bleeding for many days. Sometimes its light and painless, and sometimes its just spotting.

My issue is, that I have had my period last for up to 9 weeks before. I'm talking pretty heavy spotting. I hate never knowing when it's coming, and I have repeatedly talked with my mom about going to a gynecologist because I KNOW I need to get checked out. I'm still a virgin too. But for whatever reason, she does not want me going. We have really poor health insurance that covers barely anything, but her main concern is that they'll just put me on birth control. She just tells me that she'll talk to some people before she makes the appointment, but she has never done it. She tells me my period will just normalize itself in time, and I want to believe her. But its been 8 years and I'm still having wacky periods. I'm worried that I won't be able to have kids when I marry in a few years.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there another way to normalize my period without birth control? Where do I go from here?