Teen Health Community
Headache, sore eyes, fatigue/tiredness, what could be the cause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Hello, I am an 18 year old white male. I am 187cm tall and weigh about 80kg (if this information is useful). For about 2 years now i've suffered chronic headaches and eye pain, the pain severity is mild-moderate and has not worsened. The location of the pain is behind the temple and in front of the ear and is equal on both sides, i also occasionally get pain at the top of the neck near where it meets the skull.

The pain is the worst in morning as soon as i get out of bed, i always notice it, with significant eye pain. It subsides a fair bit after about 5-10 minutes of being up after i go have a shower or get something to eat etc. For the rest of the day it is sort of dull and achy and sometimes is constant and sometimes comes and goes.

In the last 4 or 5 months my sleep just hasn't felt restful at all, I'm not sure why, maybe this chronic pain is finally causing other problems because I don't find it that easy to get to sleep with the headaches/sore eyes.

As for the eye pain if it feels as though it is the top half of the eye that is hurting, if i close my eye and press on it i can produce pain if i press on the top of the eye and press downwards.

This was manageable throughout my senior schooling i just learnt to deal with it although it is very annoying. The only thing i have found helpful for the pain without taking painkillers is exercise such as running or playing soccer, if i exercise in the afternoon around 4 or 5pm I barely notice any pain until the next morning. And that brings me to my other problem, and that is, my body doesn't recover well from exercise anymore, my muscles take much longer to recover then they used to. I'm not sure if this was overexercising, poor nutrition or bad sleep.
Hi!
One possibility of such a pain is compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to steroid injections to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will work. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help. Also, you must improve your posture while sitting and working.
Another possibility is ‘benign intracranial hypertension’(BIH). This happens due to impaired CSF absorption. A generalized throbbing headache worst felt in the morning and last thing at night. You need a prompt evaluation by a neurologist. Hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, adrenal insufficiency are a few things I would recommend you get investigated for. These can precipitate BIH. A spinal tap is a must both to diagnose the condition and to treat it.  
Other than this it can be tension headaches, stress, and sleep related disorders. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!