Teen Health Community
Hives and swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Hives and swelling

Each spring I experience large hives on my back, pads of my feet but starts usually as smaller hives on palms of my hands. It will spread to random joints, one at a time and lasting for 24 hours. They will also swell around tendons which are very painful and restrict my movement. I had biopsy of hand hives that had turned purple and ugly but  nothing was found.
Tonight I have a 2" circle of swelling on right wrist below the thumb and a 4" circle of swelling above my left ankle on my achilles tendon which is extremely painful. These will be gone within 24 hours.
Last night I had 2 large hives on my upper lip one inside my cheek and on both sides of my tongue.

Have not eaten or drank anything different. This is the 2nd year in a row this has occurred. Last year it started in my tongue and throat
Hi!
Since the hives come only in spring, it is quite likely that you have urticaria due to pollens specific to spring season. It can also be mold or animal dander.  Eating a season fruit can also precipitate this. You need an allergy test to diagnose this. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.