Teen Health Community
How can I lose weight without lots of exercise?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

I'm 15 and was recently diagnosed with "teenage girl knee pain" - a very un-scientific name I know, but it basically means that my knees aren't fully grown and that the gristle beneath my knee cap is still very soft and my knees are being damaged by exercise. I'm supposed to keep my legs straight as much as possible so that my knees are relaxed, bending my knees puts too much pressure on my knees and makes them ache and crack and grind. Any kind of exercise is difficult as I can't bend down, run, jump, suddenly change direction or go up hills or stairs. I am able to walk on flat ground for a while but even that becomes unbearable after a while. The physiotherapist I went to see told me I would grow out of it in a year or two, but I have been out of P.E and any other kind of exercise for almost 6 months now and I'm really starting to pile on the pounds which my boyfriend doesn't really mind but is taking a real wedge out of my self confidence. It's not like I eat unhealthily or too much, it's just the lack of exercise. I really want to lose a bit of weight and I'm really struggling with it because of my knees.. If anyone has and tips or suggestions I would be very grateful, thanks.
I know there are forms of yoga/pilates that work well for people with limited mobility.  I might look into something like that. Can you swim?  That might be a possibility.  I'd also try to put more attention on dietary things and focus on having a really clean diet as much as possible. Good luck!  I hope you grow out of this more quickly than they've said!
I haven't tried yoga.. I can swim but was advised not to as it builds up the wrong muscles in the thighs and puts more pressure on my knees. If I try keeping a clean diet, what sort of things should I avoid? Other than the obvious fatty and sugary foods... Thanks!
Hey I've had the same problem for 3.5 years. I tend to focus more on abs and arms. There are millions of different ab exercises just google them. Get some weights and do curls. The more muscles you have the more calories you burn while sitting in class. Good luck. I feel your pain.
Thanks!