Teen Health Community
I have the same problem! Please Help! (Originally posted by kajj)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

"For the last 3 years, I have had difficulties focusing on just one person (a person I am talking to or who is speaking) when there are other people's eyes in my vision. My eyes will either dart over to the other person's/people's eyes, or I will be very aware of them in my field of vision, to the point where the person I am not talking to becomes aware that I am "watching" them.

This creates very awkward and uncomfortable social situations. And in university, I would spend many lectures staring at my desk in order to avoid this problem.

Watching movies also often ends up very uncomfortable because I can usually see the person I'm sitting beside in my peripheral vision and thus have trouble not "watching" them.

However the worst is in social situations, because I am a very social person but will avoid certain group activities because of the discomfort of this problem.

The problem eases when I drink alcohol, and with enough alcohol can disappear.

Several things happened during/preceding the period in which I first noticed this problem which I think could have caused it. They are:
- a period of extreme trauma/stress I had
- smoking a lot of marijuana during the same period (about 5-6 months)
- a head injury from falling down stairs while inebriated

I went to an ophthalmologist, but he didn't think there were any problems and thought it might be something psychological. But I think it is something neuro-ophthalmological. Any ideas how to improve my problem or what might be causing it? I haven't managed to find any similar disorder anywhere on the internet. Also, I am young, in my early 20s, and am otherwise very healthy. I am slightly far-sighted (-1.75 and -1.5) and wear contacts. Thanks for any help!"
Hi!
You could have developed this psychological disorder because of extreme stress or marijuana. However, some behavioral therapies can help you overcome these fears. Also, it will help you deal with stress. Please consult a psychologist or a therapist for this. Slowly you will be taught to work in groups, make eye contact and you will be back to your normal self before all this started. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.

Hi!