Teen Health Community
Nutmeg Overdose?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Nutmeg Overdose?

Ok, so I'm 15 years old. I just consumed about 3 teaspoons (about 1 tablespoon of nutmeg) Am I going to die? Or what's going to happen?

Please help, I'm kind of worried. I am sitting her at midnight afraid to sleep.
I have to say I was puzzled as to why you were consuming nutmeg (unless in cooking) and why you were worried about an overdose until I googled it. So, I learned something new today. Apparently this is one way teens are trying to get high. Used properly, nutmeg can be beneficial to the health, such as helping remove gas in the intestines.

This is what I found out:
Nutmeg is the dried seed of the Myristica Fragrans tree that is commonly imported from the Caribbean islands of Grenada and Trinidad. This herb has many practical applications in cooking and medicine. Nutmeg has been used for around nine centuries, but the first recorded case of intoxication was in 1576. Since then, there has been at least one death caused by a nutmeg overdose.

The main active ingredient in nutmeg is myristicin, although scientists speculate that there are other ingredients contributing to the intoxicating effects. Doses of five or more grams of nutmeg are considered acute nutmeg poisoning. In doses of five to fifteen grams of shredded or powdered nutmeg, effects are similar to those of amphetamines, including euphoria, visual distortions, and hallucinations in higher doses. This high is not without consequences, though. Nutmeg can cause dehydration, body pain, nausea, fever, and even convulsions. Large doses put the user at risk of Nutmeg Psychosis which is a psychiatric disorder characterized by hallucinations, excitement, irritability, and depression. There is no immediate cure to Nutmeg Psychosis, so the patient will need to wait 24 to 36 hours for effects to subside. High doses also put the user at risk of irreversible liver damage.

There are no known side effects from using nutmeg properly. Too much nutmeg can cause serious health problems and even death. Early symptoms of an overdose of nutmeg (one to three nuts) are thirst, nausea, and feelings of urgency. There may also be experiences of altered consciousness; this can range from mild to intensive hallucinations, and results in a stupor that lasts from two to three days. Sometimes shock and seizures occur. Immediate medical attention is necessary when someone has taken too much nutmeg.

Looking it up it appears that there are about 2 grams of nutmeg per teaspoon. If that is correct, then you've consumed about 6 grams of nutmeg.

This is only getting my information off of google. I'm not a doctor but I think it would be a good idea to call poison control. This is their toll free number. Please call them. 1-800-222-1222. I'd rather you be safe than sorry.
Take care.
Thank you for the help (:

I'm a little less scared now, and I will be sure to not be this idiotic in the future.
hi i just took around 9 nuts of nutmeg now how many grams is that ?