Teen Health Community
Nutmeg Overdose?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Nutmeg Overdose?

Ok, so I'm 15 years old. I just consumed about 3 teaspoons (about 1 tablespoon of nutmeg) Am I going to die? Or what's going to happen?

Please help, I'm kind of worried. I am sitting her at midnight afraid to sleep.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
203342_tn?1328740807
I have to say I was puzzled as to why you were consuming nutmeg (unless in cooking) and why you were worried about an overdose until I googled it. So, I learned something new today. Apparently this is one way teens are trying to get high. Used properly, nutmeg can be beneficial to the health, such as helping remove gas in the intestines.

This is what I found out:
Nutmeg is the dried seed of the Myristica Fragrans tree that is commonly imported from the Caribbean islands of Grenada and Trinidad. This herb has many practical applications in cooking and medicine. Nutmeg has been used for around nine centuries, but the first recorded case of intoxication was in 1576. Since then, there has been at least one death caused by a nutmeg overdose.

The main active ingredient in nutmeg is myristicin, although scientists speculate that there are other ingredients contributing to the intoxicating effects. Doses of five or more grams of nutmeg are considered acute nutmeg poisoning. In doses of five to fifteen grams of shredded or powdered nutmeg, effects are similar to those of amphetamines, including euphoria, visual distortions, and hallucinations in higher doses. This high is not without consequences, though. Nutmeg can cause dehydration, body pain, nausea, fever, and even convulsions. Large doses put the user at risk of Nutmeg Psychosis which is a psychiatric disorder characterized by hallucinations, excitement, irritability, and depression. There is no immediate cure to Nutmeg Psychosis, so the patient will need to wait 24 to 36 hours for effects to subside. High doses also put the user at risk of irreversible liver damage.


There are no known side effects from using nutmeg properly. Too much nutmeg can cause serious health problems and even death. Early symptoms of an overdose of nutmeg (one to three nuts) are thirst, nausea, and feelings of urgency. There may also be experiences of altered consciousness; this can range from mild to intensive hallucinations, and results in a stupor that lasts from two to three days. Sometimes shock and seizures occur. Immediate medical attention is necessary when someone has taken too much nutmeg.

Looking it up it appears that there are about 2 grams of nutmeg per teaspoon. If that is correct, then you've consumed about 6 grams of nutmeg.

This is only getting my information off of google. I'm not a doctor but I think it would be a good idea to call poison control. This is their toll free number. Please call them. 1-800-222-1222. I'd rather you be safe than sorry.
Take care.
Blank
1200615_tn?1265345480
Thank you for the help (:

I'm a little less scared now, and I will be sure to not be this idiotic in the future.
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
hi i just took around 9 nuts of nutmeg now how many grams is that ?
Blank
Avatar_m_tn
this weekend I went to a party but right before the party we went to a coffee shop in boulder Co. I put all kinds of powders and didn't realize what they read. I remember reading NUTMEG on one of them but didn't know what is was. Later that night I felt odd and I felt like I was hallucinating. I started laughing and then crying for no reason. I thought I was going to stay like that forever. people then started to tell me to drink water and stay calm. I still remember everything that happened > I couldn't control anything I was doing. (i'm fourteen now).I thought that maybe it was lack of sleep but I have no idea what it was. the next day I felt the same way but less throughout the day it started to ware off and I feel better now.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Teen Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...
Sep 04 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Adolescent Health Answerers
1622896_tn?1418684976
Blank
bobdylan1958
Outside London, United Kingdom