Odor and Discharge
I got my period in the beginning of this month. I get a gunky white discharge that has a weird odor. What is this? And how can i make the smell go away??
Hi!
A thick white discharge can be due to ovulation time or due to pregnancy if there is a past history of unprotected sex. Yeast infection to begin with only causes a white vaginal discharge without causing itching or pain during sex. Thick white vaginal discharge can also be due to cervical cancer or lichen sclerosus.
Since there is an odor it can be fungal infection. The other possibility is bacterial vaginosis. Yeast infection or thrush is at times very difficult to treat. You may need to take oral antifungal pills twice a week for 3-4 weeks along with local application of antifungal cream. There are many types of antifungals available. Take an OTC antifungal with a combination of two or more anti fungals. Use both oral and local application. At times both partners need to be treated. Provided it is indeed fungus, then only try this. Antifungal tablets are strong medicines and should not be taken otherwise. So start with cream and if it helps, start the tablet. If the cream is not effective then probably it is bacterial vaginosis.
Having said all this, it would be best to first consult a gynecologist, get appropriate tests and diagnosis and then start treatment to avoid wrong treatment and treatment resistance. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.