Teen Health Community
Ovarian Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Ovarian Cyst

I am 16 years old and I had pains in my left side for about a week. Wednesday night (2/6/13) I woke up at 3am in severe pain and couldn't move. The next day I went to the doctor then  the hospital. I was told I have an ovarian cyst and that it had ruptured and I now have blood in my pelvis. What could have caused the the cyst to form and what could have caused it to rupture?
Hi!
An ovarian cyst forms if no egg is released from an ovarian follicle. This follicle then continues to grow, collect fluid or blood. A time comes when the follicle wall is so thin that it either leaks or bursts and the cyst ruptures. Usually no treatment is required except wait and watch and maybe some pain killers. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.