Post-op
after having surgery, I ended up having to wear a colostomy bag upon discharge, should I been given antibiotic upon discharge to keep down infections
Hi!
Usually you do not need antibiotics if you have a colostomy bag. You will be taught how to use it and how to keep the area clean and sterile. Antibiotics are prescribed only if there is an infection around the site. However, post surgery, since the immunity is low, some doctors do prescribe antibiotics to reduce the risk of infections. You should discuss this with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.