Teen Health Community
Role Models

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Role Models

I thought it would be fun to get another discussion going, so here it goes...

Role models are great to have. True role models are people we look up to, someone who posses qualities that we admire or who have affected us in a way that makes us want to be better people. This person(or persons) can be someone we know or someone we have seen, heard, or read about.

Do you have a role model, and who is your role model?
As a kid I never had a role model. I was sexually abused by my step-brother, and my parents did a **** poor job of handling that situation. So as a kid I had no real role models.
However, since I've been with my boyfriend of 2 years (yay!!) my mother-in-law haw become my role model. She raised her 2 sons on her own and put herself through college to work with CPS. Married 3 times, and helped raise her step-children as well. On top of that one of her step children got heavily into drugs and she helped him out of that.
She pushes all her kids to do their best because she was able to do that. A year ago when my mother all but abandoned me she took me under her wing and became my mother. Due to my employment status I had no money so she would always ask me if she went shopping if I needed anything. Doing what my mother was supposed to do.
She has become someone I really look up to, and the kind of mother I want to be someday when I do have children of my own
I have been involved with karate for 8 years. I look up to my instructor more than anybody else I know. He helped give me more confidence when I had to get up in front of people. He keeps an eye on every aspect of your life including grades, punishments, family life, and medical problems. Sometimes I wish he cared a little less. He tries to help even the most hopeless problems. I love karate because of my instructor.
Devium, I'm glad she was able to step in for you and be a good 'mom' to you. It's always great to see that someone can play that important role for us.

Monkeymorgan, your instructor sounds great and seems like he truly cares for everyone. It's always nice to see that and helps people stay on the right track.

I would say my role model is my friend K. She came to the US as a young teen and struggled to learn English and make it in school. Even when things got really tough, she never gave up on getting a good education and really making something of herself, working hard and putting herself through school. She graduated last year with her bachelor's degree in biology and is now attending medical school. Even with her hectic life, she always makes time for her friends and family. She has been an inspiration to me and many others, showing what her hard work and dedication can do, with never giving up on a dream.