Shoulder Blades Sore
My shoulder blades are 'winging' out and my upper back is getting very sore. Do I just need to fix my posture? I've tried massaging and using a muscle pain gel
Hi!
A typical winging of scapula is due to paralysis of serratus anterior muscle due to damage of long thoracic nerve due to infection, inflammation or injury. Treatment is by physiotherapy and maybe surgery.
Pain under the left shoulder blade is usually a referred pain from abdomen like stomach ulcers, acidity, pancreatitis, or ectopic pregnancy or from the chest like in heart attack, pericarditis, pleuritis, pneumonia, pulmonary embolus, and aortic dissection. Pain under right shoulder blade is usually due to gall stones, duodenal ulcer and liver infection. Hence an ultrasound, liver function test and an upper GI endoscopy is needed for diagnosis. A pain between shoulder blades could be due to acidity or duodenal ulcer or due to dilated bile duct with involvement of pancreas or a combination of either.  Hence you need to investigate for liver and gall bladder issues, pancreatitis with tests for serum amylase and lipase, and to rule out acidity or duodenal ulcer by taking omeprazole and seeing if your pain responds to it.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis.
Take care!