Teen Health Community
Swollen armpit node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Swollen armpit node

My 14 year old nephew complained about his armpit hurting to his mom a couple of weeks ago.  She took him to the doctor who says that the node under my newphew arm is swollen and put him on a Z-pack.  CBC appears to be normal, but they told her that if the swelling isn't gone within two weeks, they will remove the entire node and biopsy it.  What are the chances that this could be cancer?  My sister and I are nervous wrecks with worry.

With thanks,

Jeanie
-13 Comments Post a Comment
My husband noticed a lump under his armpits and we of course dreaded the worse, cancer.  After reading EVERYTHING on the internet as to the cause we were relieved to read two different people had experienced this.  It was due to underarm antiperspirant.  My husband had always used deodarant and had ran out and used my antiperspirant for afew days and that caused the swelling.  It took another week of using nothing for the lump to disappear.  There is a difference between deodarant and antiperspirant and apparently antiperspirant causes this with some people.  Hope this may be your case, Good luck!