Teen Health Community
Teenage son losing weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Teenage son losing weight

My son is sixteen years old and is losing weight at a rapid pace unintentionally. He has a stomach ache every morning which goes away eventually, and has lost his appetite. In April he weighed 165 and today (December 15) he weighed 140. He's over six-feet tall and is healthy in all other respects; however he seems to have lost the "pep" in his step and the brightness in his eyes. He stays in his room and sleeps and/or lounges at every opportunity. He's lost interest in golf, his passion, but has become involved with a wonderful girl and has begun "dating" by going to the mall with her on occasion. Their "dates" always include the twin sister so we're not yet concerned about anything too serious with their relationship.

We do not suspect drug use (nor do his golf coach or teachers) and although we are concerned about depression he seems to have made a healthy switch by spending time with a "good" girl and less time on the golf course. Considering it is December we aren't overly concerned with his loss of interest in golf. However, we are distressed by the drastic weight loss. I talked with him today about it and he cried because he's afraid he may be truly sick.

I know that teenagers go through growth spurts, so maybe this is normal. Please share your stories or information with me. We have an appointment to see the doctor next Thursday, but I'm going nuts worrying about my son!

Thank you.
What happened with your son what did doctor have to say? His weight loss isn't normal that's for sure. How is he doing today?
The Dr. appointment is a great start!  Please let us know what they say.  I'm not even going to say "don't worry" because I know i would be worried.  Next Thursday needs to hurry and get here!  Until then, ((hugs))!
Thanks so much for your comment. Our family doctor ran all the "normal" tests and some others, then referred us to an oncologist to rule out leukemia since he lost an additional six pounds between appointments. The Oncologist also did a thorough exam and although there was a slight increase in one of his blood levels he thinks it's stress.

It's been a few months now and my son is once again interested in golf. He has not been able to gain any weight, even with nutritional supplements, but he has a little more energy. He's on "reprieve" until next month to see if he can put on some weight, so we are in the terrible "wait and watch" stage.

Many thanks again for your kind message - IIf I find out anything definitive I'll post. Blessings.

I am glad your doc cleared him of severe probs...but make sure his diet is causing it! Celiac disease, gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance and a lack of intestinal flora can cause some of these issues. I would say also diabetes, but your doc probably thought of that. If he is excessively urinating and drinking a lot of water then I would still suspect diabetes. Teens don't ususally lose weight, but may thin out in growth spurts of height...especially boys. I would not let this go uninvestigated. Another possibility? Thyroid--graves disease. Overactive thyroid to be precise. Check out EVERYTHING.