Teen Health Community
Thrush

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Thrush

For the past few days I have been experiencing soreness, itchiness and a burning sensation in my vagina, usually while I pee or my boyfriend touches me. I am also taking the pill and antibiotics at the moment. I was wondering if either of these medications could be the cause of this thrush? Thanks
Hi!
Yes, being on pills and taking antibiotics can both increase the risk of thrush. Also, redness, pain, soreness in vagina can be due to bacterial infection, bacterial vaginosis or due to a STD. Hence, though there is a huge chance that you have developed vaginal thrush, your gynecologist needs to confirm this first. If it is thrush you will probably need to apply vaginal antifungal medication for a few days. Sometime oral medication is also given.  Please consult your gynecologist.
Take care!