Teen Health Community
When is the appropriate age to wear tampons?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

i'm 14 years old and i want to start wearing tampons. i hate having the feeling of being in a diaper, having to check if i stained my jeans, and just wearing pads in general. i asked my mom if i could use tampons and she went crazy saying how i was to young, but everyone my age uses them. and i don't want to use them because everyone is, it's not like they know i'm wearing a pad i just want to be comfortable. i already tried talking to her but everytime she just says i'm to young and you can't be using them while you're still a virgin. but i feel ready, i feel mature enough to handle the responsibility. there are 11 years olds using them, if an 11 year old can i feel i can. and i don't want to go behind her back and use them, so i thought i should get a second opinion on the appropiate age to wear a tampon. thanks,
I started using tampons when I first started my period( so around 8). Your mom is probably concerned because if you wear a tampon you are at risk for tts( toxic shock syndrome). Though it is very rare the risk is higher for women under 30 and teenage girls.
There is no "appropriate" age for beginning to wear tampons and you can wear them starting at any age you feel comfortable. As adillie said, your mom is most likely worried about TSS(toxic shock syndrome) and that is why she is very hesitant to let you use them. I began using tampons at age 12 when I first began my period. Talk to your mom about using tampons again and tell her that you will be very careful as to change your tampons regularly as to prevent TSS from happening. Also, you can tell her that TSS is very rare and also half of the cases that occur with TSS happen to non-menstruating women and men. TSS is a rare bacterial infection, so if you start out with using lower flow tampons(the smaller ones) and make sure to change them regularly(about every 4 to 6 hours), then you should be perfectly fine. Do some research on TSS and make sure to show this to your mom to help ease her mind. Also, using tampons and virginity have nothing to do with each other. I began using tampons at 12, but never was sexually active until I was 20. Sometimes moms can be a little crazy, but try to talk to her again and see how it goes. Make sure to talk calmly and don't let things escalate to both of you arguing. I hope it all goes well.
I agree with sweetpea parents just do not understand at times and they can overreact alot but she's just concerned some parents feel like nothing should be going up there if u get my jist. However try explaining how u feel about pads and that both pads and tampons have their pros and cons. Tampons are pretty effective as u feel more comfortable doing certain things such swimming etc. You have to be very careful and very responsible about wearing tampons I know of a case where someone forgot that their tampon was up there for days....no joke no lie. Try to be calm with your mom sometimes you kids growing up can be a scary transformation for them. :) Take care!