Teen Health Community
Why does my 14 year old daughter have pain near the top of her tibia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

She describes as "in her bone". It wakes her up at night and she says it hurts more at night and when she does any physical activity. She doesn't remember hurting it. She says it varies in intensity but is always there. Should I be concerned? What could this be? I don't think it is shin splints because she is a kid who she doesn't complain unless she is really hurt. And she wakes up in the middle of the night bawling because she is in so much pain. She also has a high fever do you think any of this is related?
Hi!
If your daughter has high fever and severe pain just below the knee, then this could be due to infection of knee bursa or bursitis, arthritis, infection of the bone, or severe anemia. It can also be due to a clot in the vein over the leg. Pain in the legs can be a common complaint in viral fevers. If the pain comes at night usually and without fever then restless leg syndrome should be thought of. Do inform your doctor immediately about his pain. Your daughter may need to undergo some blood tests and other examinations. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.