Teen Health Community
Yest Infection or Worse?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Yest Infection or Worse?

I think I have a yeast infection, my vagina burns and itches on the inside and outside and it burns when I urinate, but what im not so positive on is that my discharge has a reddish tinge and I have these small red blister like bumps on the outside of my labia...could this be a yeast infection? Im taking a yeast infection 7 day treatment plan and doing small home remedies to help along the way and it seems to be working slightly but im not sure. I need help!
Hi!
It is very difficult to diagnose yeast infection on net. Usually this is associated with a thick white discharge. It may be blood tinged.
Vaginal and or vulval itching can be due to several causes. One is yeast infection. Usually there is a thick curd like discharge with it. Yeast infection or thrush is at times very difficult to treat. You may need to take oral antifungal pills twice a week for 3-4 weeks along with local application of antifungal cream. There are many types of antifungals available. Take an OTC antifungal with a combination of two or more anti fungals. Use both oral and local application. At times both partners need to be treated. Test for diabetes and other STDs as presence of either or both can make it difficult to treat the fungal infection. Provided it is indeed fungus, then only try this. Antifungal tablets are strong medicines and should not be taken otherwise. So start with cream and if it helps, start the tablet.
Herpes (STD) can cause vaginal itch as the first symptom.  STD like  trichomoniasis causes a greenish discharge. Hence it is important to get a STD panel. Trichomoniasis is treated with a specific group of drugs known as the nitroimidazoles, either metronidazole or tinidazole, 2g as a single dose, preferably to both the partners. Greenish vaginal discharge may also be a symptom of a skin disorder known as Lichen Sclerosus, this is characterized by skin changes that occurs on the vulva. It can also be due to bacterial vaginosis.
Third possibility is a non specific vaginitis. This happens due to break in the normal flora of the vagina and is usually treated by lactobacillus preparations for the vaginal and oral lactobacillus tablets. Another possibility is vaginal irritation due to latex of condom or due to spermicidal jelly. If you use either of these methods of contraception, then your vagina could be allergic to the material of these. You can try latex free condoms or a different brand of spermicidal jelly. Allergy to semen is also possible and the itch due to this allergy disappears after sex.
Vaginal itching may be due to chemical irritants (such as detergents, fabric softeners, feminine sprays, ointments, creams, douches, and contraceptive foams or jellies), drop in estrogen, pin worms and stress. Hence first you will have to find the cause of itch. The treatment will depend on the cause. Take care!