Teen Health Community
gaining weight

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

gaining weight

hi im 20 years old and i weigh about 89 pounds and my question is how can i gain weight i dont like being skinny and i wanna gain weight i eat icecream everyday and also eat alot of food but dont put on no weight im also on the depo shot and i dont know if that has something to do with it cause when i wasnt on the shot i weighted more but since i got on the shot i lost weight but now i wanna know if their is any tips on gaining weight if anybody can help me that would be helpful thanks
Hi!
Thinness and fitness are two different things. One can be thin and yet fit, whereas on can be fat and unhealthy. What is important is that the weight should not be below the normal percentile for your age, waist circumference and height. If that is the case the probably you do not eat well. If you eat well, you may be having worms in the stool. Hence a stool test is a must. Other possibilities why you are not gaining weight are hyperthyroidism, diabetes, irritable bowel syndromes and malabsorption syndromes. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
thanks for your help but i do eat well and being skinny runs in my family my mom was just as skinny as i was and she is healthy but thanks for helping me