Teen Health Community
heavy menstrual cycles
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

heavy menstrual cycles

im 18 years and im a bit heavy bleeder recently i consulted the doctor and the doctor said i look anemic after a blood check up. and later he suggested me to check two more blood check ups for thalesemmia and another blood too. i have a severe backbone ache and abdominal cramps during the cycle and sometimes i don't bleed well and sometimes i do. even hair loss is high what the actions i should take?
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
If you are bleeding heavy during periods, have bone pains and hair loss then iron deficiency anemia should be ruled out first.
The three main causes of low iron are—poor intake, poor absorption, and high loss. Poor intake can be compensated by diet rich in iron and iron therapy. Poor absorption is seen in conditions like Crohn's, IBS, severe acidity etc, and needs to be ruled out. High loss is seen there is a bleeding in your gastrointestinal tract, either due to esophageal varices, polyps, gastric bypass site, hemorrhoids or an ulcer. You should get your stool examined for occult or hidden blood to detect this blood loss. Also you need to get a pheripheral blood smear done to know the RBC count, structure and whether there is cytopenia (general decrease in cell count). The renal function and liver function needs to be checked, and electrophoresis of hemoglobin done to know whether there is thalasemia trait or sickle cell anemia. You need to see if there is vitamin B12 deficiency. Once the cause is found and corrected, then the lost iron is replaced by iron therapy, either in form of pills, capsules or syrups, or as injectable preparations. Consult your PCP regarding this. You should ideally consult a hematologist for this.In your case, the heavy periods could be the cause of anemia.
Heavy periods or menorrhagia can be due to fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis, uterine polyps, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems and bleeding disorders. Please consult a gynecologist to rule these out. If a cause is found then treating it will cure the iron deficiency anemia too along with iron pills. Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Teen Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...