Teen Health Community
nervous about first pap smear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

nervous about first pap smear

hi my name is heather and im 20 years old and in february im going for my first pap smear and im nervous about it and i dont know wat to expect i tryed going for it once but i chickened out cause i got nervous and scared i was wondering if anybody was scared the first time they got it done and i was also wondering if they can use smaller tools to do the exam and if anybody can help me with this please do so that when i go i dont feel so nervous and scared and i will be able to get my first one done thanks

Hi!
Yes, one can be really apprehensive about a PAP. However, it is a simple procedure. It is just like examining your vagina by inserting fingers. Just that the fingers are replaced by an instrument which allows the doctor a clear view of the vagina. Then a swab is taken from around the cervix by a spatula (flat spoon like thing) and sent for testing.
Usually this is a painless procedure. You may feel slight discomfort but usually doctors have you talking and deep breathing which helps overcome the mild discomfort. If you are too anxious, maybe you can talk to your doctor and can be prescribed a nerve relaxant (anti anxiety medication) before the test. Most women do not need this medication and have this test annually. Consider this as a normal test and you will be fine. All the best! Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
thanks for the advice I know I will be ok