sudden irregular periods
I'm 16 and I had sex for the first time and only time 8 months ago. Ever since then I've had extremely irregular periods. When I finally do get my period it's really light and only last 4 or 5 days rather than my usual 7 or 8. I've tested for pregnancy twice, both tests were negative. What could be wrong with me?
Hi!
Well, cycles change with time, so this is a possibility. If pregnancy test is negative, it is best to consult a gynecologist and find out why you have irregular periods. High level of stress, dramatic changes in your life style, high cholesterol, hormonal imbalance as seen in thyroid problems and PCOS, chain smoking, may be some of the common causes of your irregular periods. Cushing’s disease and disorders of adrenal gland, tumors of the ovaries and adrenals, insulin resistance and obesity are some of the other factors. Prolonged use of oral contraceptive pills is another cause. Other important local causes of irregular periods are PCOS and fibroid uterus. PCOS causes cysts to form on the ovaries, interfering with regular ovulation. Diagnosis is by blood tests like blood insulin levels, serum testosterone and androgen levels and by ultrasound. I sincerely advice you to consult a gynecologist and get it evaluated. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.