Teen Health Community
teen morbid obese

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

teen morbid obese

Hello I have a concern for my sister, she is 16 yrs of age and weights 285 lbs. I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow about her weight issues and concerns. She tries to lose weight on her own by cutting alot of foods out and go for long walks but nothing seems to help. Since her last visit to the doctor 2 wks ago she has gained 9lbs. Im at my wits end of what to do. I'm going to be asking her doctor to check her blood sugar and thyroid is there any other thing i should ask her doctor to do for her tomorrow!!!

A Concerned sister!!!!
ask him/her what foods in what combinations would be good for her to eat, how many meals, how many calories, what sorts of exercise and for how long would be good for her. if there should be a schedule she should follow until her weight is under control and if it is her thyroid (my aunt had a thyroid problem and gained a TON of weight, her doctor did the tests found out what it was and put her on the proper medication. within 6 months she went from nearly 300 lbs down to 190. and now 4 years later she's at a happy 120 lbs and has maintained that weight with exercise and a proper diet) if there is medication that's safe for her to take. also ask them to check for diabetes. with her being overweight she is susceptible to juvenile diabetes.

good luck!