Teen Health Community
very low energy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

very low energy

I'm seventeen years old and I have been feeling very tired and have very little energy.   I have felt this way for approx 5 or more months. I tend to sleep well most nights (8 hours a night) and even nap a couple days of the week.  I do wake up at least once a night and I am currently taking no medications.  I am at a healthy body weight:  I am 5'4 and weigh 125 lbs.   I recently went to my doctor and he took blood, I called back and they said the blood results were fine and that everything was okay.  I have also noticed that my eyes are really sore.  My diet is healthy but I might be undereating. I tend to skip breakfast 5 out of 7 days of the week and sometimes eat lunch if I have time, i know that it might seem obvious but even if I eat breakfast/lunch I feel tired. I rarely drink any water during the day because I do not feel thirsty. could this be contributing? how does water give you energy?  I do not drink/smoke.  I have had depression in the past and took APO-AMITRIPTYLINE.     What could be contributing to my low energy?  
Tags: no energy
maybe your not getting enough protene or vitamins in you.
Dehydration can certainly affect how you feel and make you tired, sluggish, etc. It can also make your eyes feel dry and red. Make a habit of drinking water throughout the day. Carry around a water bottle. If you don't care for the taste of water, you can always add a little lemon juice or buy flavored waters. But make sure you are drinking plenty of water! You should be getting at least 8 full 8 oz's of water a day.
Also make sure you are eating at least every 3 to 4 hours. Breakfast is especially important because your body has already been fasting all night when you've been sleeping. If you're not normally hungry in the mornings then just make a fruit smootie or something in the blender. It's nutritious and will give you energy. Throw some fruit like a banana, frozen strawberries, blueberries, etc. in a blender with a little milk, sweetener and you can add protein powder or wheat germ to make it even healthier. Try and have a light snack in the afternoon like an apple or granola mix. You don't have to eat big meals, just try and eat healthy meals and snacks every 3 to 4 hours.
If you start doing these suggestions, I think you will start to feel better and have more energy in no time. If you stll don't after a few weeks of trying these suggestions, then get a physical done and get your thyroid checked. You're young, though, I think it's just your diet, or lack of, that's affecting how you feel. Hope this helps!