Teen Pregnancy Concerns Community
Appendicitis during pregnancy!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy concerns for teens, ages 13-17. Please note, this community is not intended to discuss how to conceive. Questions regarding this will be removed.

Appendicitis during pregnancy!!

Hi, I recently had an appendicitis and I am 33weeks pregnant. I had surgery to remove the appendix. However the surgery was complicated and the doctor told me that during the surgery I had struggled to breath and lost a lot of blood too. Although the doctor said it will be ok for my baby, I am still worried. Has anyone had or know someone that's had this and can put my mind at rest.
Hi!
The only real affect surgery can have on baby is through the anesthesia you had. Well, since you are pregnant, doctors would have monitored the baby’s heart rate during the surgery. Also, anesthesia is given such that it has least effect on baby. Acute appendicitis needs emergency surgery, so cannot be avoided. While surgery is stressful, babies are usually resilient and strong and protected in mother’s womb. However, let your Obs and Gyn check. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.