Teen Pregnancy Concerns Community
Birth control & cervical mucous. Should I be worried?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy concerns for teens, ages 13-17. Please note, this community is not intended to discuss how to conceive. Questions regarding this will be removed.

I am on Ortho TriCyclen-lo. I have been on this pill for four years, and the last time I missed a pill was January. My cycles are usually exactly 28 days. January's was 27, February's was 29. But my question is about signs of ovulation in relation to pregnancy. I know that birth control thickens your cervical mucous and the lining of your uterus. I also know that in the first phase of your menstrual cycle, the cervical mucous is normally thicker and dry. At the time of ovulation, it is supposed to be very thin and almost watery-like. Then before menstruation, it gets thicker again. Well, on day 14 of my cycle this month, which is supposed to be my time of ovulation, my cervical mucous was unchanged - it was still thick, almost no discharge at all. Does this mean I my pill is working?

I ask this because my boyfriend and I have recently stopped using condoms. He has finished inside me 7 or 8 times - twice on the second day after my period, then several times the week of my supposed "ovulation". But since I am on the pill, and since my cervical mucous did not indicate that I was ovulating, what are my chances of being pregnant?  

My period is supposed to start a week from tomorrow (Monday), and so far I am not experiencing any out-of-the-ordinary symptoms. I've felt slightly nauseated since Friday (5 days past "ovulation"), but it was at night. No morning sickness. I've also had some cramping, but they feel like normal pms cramps.  

Should I be concerned about pregnancy at this point? I am on Ortho TriCyclen-lo. I have been on this pill for four years, and the last time I missed a pill was January. My cycles are usually exactly 28 days. January's was 27, February's was 29. But my question is about signs of ovulation in relation to pregnancy. I know that birth control thickens your cervical mucous and the lining of your uterus. I also know that in the first phase of your menstrual cycle, the cervical mucous is normally thicker and dry. At the time of ovulation, it is supposed to be very thin and almost watery-like. Then before menstruation, it gets thicker again. Well, on day 14 of my cycle this month, which is supposed to be my time of ovulation, my cervical mucous was unchanged - it was still thick, almost no discharge at all. Does this mean I my pill is working?

Should I be concerned about pregnancy at this point?
b/c is NOT 100% effective which is why you're always supposed to use condoms. it is entirely possible you're pregnant. wait until your period is due and test.
*Didn't mean to post the last part twice, btw. I think my computer screwed up.
the cervical mucus can change. mine isn't the same every single month. some months i really know when i'm ovulating b/c my cm gets extremely thick and stretchy like eggwhites and i get a mild period like cramping where as other months there won't be any at all with zero cramps. your body constantly changes and it won't be exactly the same from month to month. that's why it's always best to use two forms of protection.