Teen Pregnancy Concerns Community
I just found out i'm pregnant should i IMMEDIATELY quit smoking ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy concerns for teens, ages 13-17. Please note, this community is not intended to discuss how to conceive. Questions regarding this will be removed.

some people told me your suposed to cut back and slowly get off it.. others said " DO IT IMMEDIATELY" . i dont wanna do the wrong thing and put the baby in to stress or shock or nothing.. any advice?
Just do what you can.  If you feel like you could quit immediatly with no side effects go for it.. if you feel like you need to slowly wean yourself, do that.. The baby wont go through shock.. and continuing to smoke will be worse for the baby in the long run so just do what you feel comfortable doing.  I didnt find out I was pregnant until i was about 10-11 weeks so I smoked the first 2 1/2 months.. and then when i found out i was pregnnat i smoked the rest of my pack which was like 5 cigs and quit.. havent picked up a cigarette since.. actually the smell of them repulses me now.  My doctor suggested quiting all together and said that it wouldnt hurt the baby, because I have heard that you should slowly quit.. but its really up to you.. I know a lot of people that didnt quit at all.. Which im not saying is good..but its your own choice.. No one elses, Just chose what you want to do taking the baby into consideration.
Yeah like mj_mommy_manda said it doesn't cause shock (unless you are someone who smokes like more than 2 packs a day and then you might want to wean yourself off). I used to smoke a little more than like 1/2 a pack a day and as soon as I found out I was pregnant I quit cold turkey and never went back. I know someone who continued to smoke all through her pregnancy (only 1 cigarette a day) and now her baby has water in his lungs or something like that and has had to get surgrey and things like that. I know that it doesn't happen to every baby but it does happen. Better to be safe than sorry.
YES!
I would cut down gradually my midwife says going cold turkey can do more harm than good as it can affect your stress levels and blood pressure etc. Im 30 weeks and still smoking 2/3 a day (from 20-30 a day)
You have to do what you can do! In very early pregnancy, the baby doesn't develop an addiction but long-term use can cause some damage to the respiratory system, among other things. If you can't do it all at once, just cut back and wean yourself off.
I think you should stop smoking right away. You have to think about your baby now. Its two of you and you need to do what's in the best interest for your child.And if you want your baby to grow up healthy I don't think quitting smoking should be that hard my fiance sister did it with her son so I'm sure you can to. Just think about the life growing inside you now!
You should quit, but putting too much stress on yourself can be counterproductive. I found out 3 weeks ago that I am pregnant. I cut down for 3 weeks, then this past Sunday, I have quit.. It has only been 3 days, and it IS tough, but you can do it! Congratulations to you on being concerned and clearly wanting what is best for you and the baby. And don't get discouraged by those that say "just quit, it isn't hard.." They obviously have never been long term regular smokers. It IS an addiction, and it is difficult to fight! =)
Good Luck!
i think that it would be great if you could to it, i think it would be a brill if you did but i reckon that every child deserves the best start of it can get you know it would also leave ur pregnancy easier if you wernt out smoking
When I found out I was pregnant I was 4 weeks and I cut down until I was 6 weeks and completely stopped. It really was a lot easier knowing that I had a little one in me that would suffer the consequences of my actions... Espically since it was so selfish of me to make him smoke too. I say do what you can but it really does not put the baby into shock. Best of Luck and have a Happy and Healthy 9 months.
thanks everyone for all your comments i really appreciate it:) i've now cut back to 2 a day and i'm gona quit when we get back from our family camping trip.. cuz lets face it. sitting around all day doing NOTHING is like.. impossible to go without my smoke. but im gettin there
Girl, more power to you if you can quit.
When I found out, I tried, I really did.
But when I did stop for a while, it only did more to my blood pressure, so I didn't stop till the stressful things that was happening at the time, simmered down.
And it did, so I finally did when I was about 3 months.

But then I ended up moving back to Massachusetts.
And Amtrak railways is the WORST way to travel from Texas up to Massachusetts.
And after almost a month and a half of no smoking... I ended up starting back up wen I was almost  4 1/2 months.

Now sh*t is going down again, and we gatta move BACK to Texas.
Thankfully there's no train involved again.
But the things happening around me right now is making is very difficult to quit.

I'm almost 27 weeks pregnant now, and the damage is already done. There's really no point anymore.
But I plan to stop after the move because my life will be move calm and preoccupied preparing for the baby due in October... so I won't really think about it.

I've known so many people that have smoked throughout all their pregnancies, and their babies came out perfectly fine.

Yeah, smoking causes asthma in babies, but it's not like it matters for me because both me and my hubby have it... it also runs on both sides of our families... what are the chances here? lol

So I say please do, if you can.
Your little one is depending on you.

I wish I could have sooner... but sh*t happens, y'know?