Teen Pregnancy Concerns Community
Measuring small?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy concerns for teens, ages 13-17. Please note, this community is not intended to discuss how to conceive. Questions regarding this will be removed.

Measuring small?

I took my daughter in because she was so nauseous, dizzy, headachy, with a little bit of crampiness and they wanted to see her to make sure she wasn't dehydrated.
They did an ultrasound and the baby is measuring at 8 weeks when she's supposed to be 9 weeks. Is this normal? Why would it be measuring small? She knows exactly when she conceived because it was just one time. They want to do another ultrasound in about 3 weeks or so to see how far along it is measuring.

I'm just so concerned and stressed as it is for her and the baby. She's only 17. Also, I'm worried because we had an Upper GI done on her before we knew she was pregnant (within the first 2 weeks after conception) since we were trying to help her IBS. I'm real worried about that too. I know it's done and over with but it's hard not to worry.
that is completely normal. if the baby measures 2 weeks or more behind is when i would start to worry. as long as you saw a heartbeat and it was normal don't stress. my guys measured small as well but their heartbeats were strong.

when the doctor starts to worry is when you worry. lol. just make sure she's eating properly and taking care of herself.
Ok, well this is all so different for me! I always had babies that measured big but I think that I was further along and just had big babies as it was.
Yes, there was a little heartbeat in the little peanut. :)
hi i no how u r feeling with my first baby she was small in her ultra sound but at the end of my pregnancy so keep your chin up just keep helping ur daughter out she needs a sport  system  so ya have fun with your daghters baby
then have no worries.

did the doctor appear worried at all? or say anything "foreboding" to you guys?
It was a midwife. She didn't say much of anything actually, just that they'll do another one in 3 weeks to see how far along it is and that it should be easier to see.
hmmm.....write down questions. anything you think of and go "man i should have asked that" write it down as soon as it pops into your mind. that's what i did when i was pregnant and when i'd go in for my appointments i'd take in my list and go through it. so then if she doesn't say anything at least you have a list of things you want to know and won't forget.
Has she had an ultrasound? Maybe she is not as far along as you guys thought. But as long as baby is healthy I wouldn't worry. With both my children I was measuring weeks behind and come to find out my uterus is backwards. (instead of facing forward it faces back) Maybe she is the same. There's nothing wrong with it, its kind of like being left handed
Yes, she had an ultrasound. They said it measured at 8 weeks when she is 9 weeks. She knows exactly when she conceived because it was just once. They said they will do another ultrasound in about 3 weeks or so to see how far along it's showing.
I dont know if you know this or not but when your daughter had sex that one time...the sperm could have lived up to 7 days and then met with the egg!! Sperm can do that so maby she is only 8 weeks. Good luck
I wrote this to your journal also, but my thoughts were the same as Rosa20's--your daughter probably did not conceive until a few days after having sex. She may not have been ovulating when she had sex, but rather ovulated about 5 days (give or take) after having sex. The sperm could have survived inside her for up to 5-7 days, depending on her body chemistry (vaginal pH balances, cervical mucous consistency, body temperature, etc).
So if she had sex on such and such a day, the sperm probably met the egg between 4-7 days later since she's measuring about a week behind what she thought she would be.
Here is the latest! She was seen today for her ob appointment and they did another ultrasound to date it better and she's measuring right on target at 12 weeks. We saw the heart beating, head, face, little arm and hand, body, etc. It's still pretty small. We should be able to see more and see more clearly at 20 weeks but so far everything seems to be going well!