Teen Pregnancy Concerns Community
University and (possible) Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy concerns for teens, ages 13-17. Please note, this community is not intended to discuss how to conceive. Questions regarding this will be removed.

University and (possible) Pregnancy

Has anyone been in the position of finding out they were pregnant or suspecting they were pregnant and just about to start uni?

Im starting a nursing course at uni in September. Im 19 and turn 20 in February and im worred i could be pregnant. Im going to take a test tomorrow and see what happens, but even if its negative and if my already late period hasnt arrived by the time my doctors appointment comes round then ill get a blood test done.

I just wondered if anyone has or is in the same position whether they suspect they are pregnant or are pregnant. What would/are you going to do?

Im really confused about it because I really want to become a nurse (hopefully speciallise in Midwifery) and i don't want to dissapoint my mother, who is really excited about me starting my course. But then at the same time i dont want to opt for atermination because it goes against my belief that all life is sacred.

I know i shouldnt worry until tests are confirmed but i cant help it!
I think im pregnant and everybody will tell u not to worry that stress will make ur period come later but i cant stop thinking about it and ive had no sign of a period!
Its hard not to worry!

Cause the 'what if' question keeps popping up in your head and you can't stop thinking about what to do.

If i wasnt starting uni or if i was well into my course i woulnt worry as much. Im just afraid they'll turn around and say i should deffer my entry for a year.

But whatever happens im sure everything will get sorted out. Heck if i can be a mother and a student nurse i'll do it no matter how hard it will be! I have my partner and im sure my family will support me too.

Hope you find out! keep us posted on everything!

ps. An ex of mine had a friend who's period didnt arrive until over 90 days! so i guess it can happen like that but its scary when your most disliked friend doesnt arrive!
jary- you knew having unprotected sex leads to pregnancy (among other things) but if you are pregnant...its not the end of the world. its not like you would be the only girl EVER in that situation.
no matter if u wanted to be or not i think everybody gets excited! how could you not! I'm glad you have great plans for your life and you can still keep them plans with a baby! Wemon do it everyday and im sure your family will support you no matter what!
Thanks guys. I know its not the end of the world...yes i am aware that unprotected sex leads to pregnancy (using the Rhythm method) and i know im not the only girl.

I just want to know if anyone else here has been or is in the same situation. Trying to decide what to do is just frustrating!

Defo getting contraception if not preg....anyone had Implanon?
i used depo shot for 2 years and i loved it! i hate needles but i never missed my appt every 3 months because i knew it was important but i didnt have any problems at all no periods or nothing. i would still be on it but they say it prives you of your calcium so you should only use it for 2 years if other birth controls aren't good for you. If im not pregnant i want my shot back lol
Its something i would consider...Gonna have a word with my doctor though...find the best one for me.
have you used birth control before? What kinds?
yes the rythem method is not a way to avoid a pregnancy.

i dont see why you cant do both. i read it and it sounds like you HAVE to choose one or the other and i dont see why. i dont see why you cant be a mommy (if you are pregnant) and then go to college next year or something

and your jummping the gun WAY to fast. FIGURE OUT IF YOUR PREGNANT FIRST. THEN GO FROM THERE
Its exactly my plan to find out if im pregnant first. I only came here to talk to people about it and ask if anyone has been in the same position, not ask them what to do if i think im pregnant...i know what to do there.

I cant see why i cant do both either...itll be damn hard i know but not impossible.

Testing tomorrow so will post the results then.
well when was your period due?
Im guessing Monday 21st...mine are irrelgular and i keep a record but they never make sense.

Had cramping which felt like my period was about to start but hasnt and its never been this late. Thats the problem with irregular periods...confusing about when to test, but i'll find out some how.
well its not like horribly late. you could always get a bllood test to figure out if your pregnant or not for sure
btw forgot to mention we also use withdrawral too..and rhythm is only used just after a period is over for a few days then back to withdrawral.

But this time i wasnt careful about the dates and so it is my fault :/
yes and you can very much get pregnant with the "withdrawl (withdrawal) method" its not a method to use not to get pregnant.  you cant go by your dates or whatever. you dont always ovulate on a certain day or every so days. it can happened when you dont know.

your 19. you need to use condoms and birth control always to avoid a pregnancy and stds
Stay in Nursing school finish it out, dont stop doing something you want to do because you might be/are pregnant, if you are then you have 9 months to go. if your not the depo is good birth control i was on it for 4 years and my husband (was boyfriend) never pulled out and i never got pregnant but i was just lucky nothign is 110% but it was good for me.
good luck with everything.
I can imagine going to nursing school while pregnant, but cannot imagine doing it with a baby to care for.  Nursing school is a very intense program.

It can be done if you have a lot of help and child care.  I don't imagine it can be done otherwise.
Well no need for a test. Period came last night but was different than normal and the pain wasnt too intense as it usually is! I guess the cramping for nearly three weeks made up for t though.

Now i have to find out why i was getting the pains. Could be nothing but im getting it checked outanyway.

Thanks all for your comments. I agree that a baby would be too much especially when i have to do 35 hours a week when on placement. Still i know that if i had been my partner and i would have figured something out.

I am really considering Implanon, dont know much about it but it lasts three years (the duration of my course) and i dont need to do anything else. Knowing me id forget to take the Pill ^_^
if you do chose the implantaion thingy....make sure you USE A CONDOM AS WELL!

bc + condoms
i got pregnant when i was 15 and in high school and i managed to finish high school , go to college and now am (well before i went on maternity leave) a manager of a hair salon in my home town, so you CAN do it if you are. good luck!
carissarae- shes not pregnant
Carissarae- I admire your determination to do well!

It would have been hard but you got there.