Teen Pregnancy Concerns Community
salt GIVES me cramps..anyone know why?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy concerns for teens, ages 13-17. Please note, this community is not intended to discuss how to conceive. Questions regarding this will be removed.

salt GIVES me cramps..anyone know why?!

hey, I was wondering if anyone knew why I end up actually getting cramps as a result of consuming raw salt, like a sprinkle on chips type of thing? I always seem to get cramps 2 or 3 hours shortly after I've had salt, and yet it seems that having a tiny bit of salt, when dissolved, like a pinch dissolved in with pasta when cooking it? I understand that a salt deficiency can lead to cramps, and so having it helps, but does anyone know how/why it seems like the opposite case for me- and in fact causes it? thanks! xx
You could have an allergy to it.  I have an iodine allergy and whenever i eat oysters/clams/scallops I get cramps to the point of not being able to move for several hours.