Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Bite Splint making jaw lock

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Bite Splint making jaw lock

Hello wondering if anyone has experienced this.

I had a problem with a lower nerve block a few months ago, my jaw locked, I won't go  into all the other details ofr muscles that would not move.  After I thawed out, I could move my jaw, but every thing pops and shifts to one side now when it gets to a certain point.   Saw Oral Surgeon and have a dislocated disc, I now have a bite splint to try to correct the problem.

Here is my question:   Trying to break myself into the bite splint, I put it in before going to sleep, woke up 4 hours later, (I have hypoglycemia, so this is nightly for me and I have to eat to correct blood sugar).   When I removed the splint to eat, my jaw was locked in the same position as it was when I had the nerve block.   It took a good few minutes to be able to close my jaw.   Needless to say, this almost put me into a panic, nothing is worse than having blood sugar drop and not being able to chew.

Has anyone out there had a bite splint and experienced anything like this?  I will be calling my doctor , but wondering about the experiences of others.
stop wearing the bite splnit. trust me , it changes your bite and jaw out of position. Trust me. had same issue. Never ever wear it.. massage with caster oil and put little heat over it . it will work.