Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Bite Splint making jaw lock
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bite Splint making jaw lock

Hello wondering if anyone has experienced this.

I had a problem with a lower nerve block a few months ago, my jaw locked, I won't go  into all the other details ofr muscles that would not move.  After I thawed out, I could move my jaw, but every thing pops and shifts to one side now when it gets to a certain point.   Saw Oral Surgeon and have a dislocated disc, I now have a bite splint to try to correct the problem.

Here is my question:   Trying to break myself into the bite splint, I put it in before going to sleep, woke up 4 hours later, (I have hypoglycemia, so this is nightly for me and I have to eat to correct blood sugar).   When I removed the splint to eat, my jaw was locked in the same position as it was when I had the nerve block.   It took a good few minutes to be able to close my jaw.   Needless to say, this almost put me into a panic, nothing is worse than having blood sugar drop and not being able to chew.

Has anyone out there had a bite splint and experienced anything like this?  I will be calling my doctor , but wondering about the experiences of others.