Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Can TMJ cause your teeth to hurt?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Can TMJ cause your teeth to hurt?

My teeth hurt, been to the dentist and he says that my teeth are fine.  My neck and shoulders and back of skull hurt also.  Could this be TMJ?????
Get you a night guard, go to the Pharmacy and ask for an over the counter night guard.  My dentist made a nightguard for me.  And yes it does help with you teeth hurting, neck and head.  Try Synesodyne toothpaste, that will stop the pain in  your teeth.  As far as the neck, head and specifically shoulders go to a Massage therapist and tell them to work firmly on  your back, shoulders neck and head.  Be sure to drink a lot of water after the massage.  But the next day, sometimes almost immediately, you will feel relief.  I'm surprised the dentist didn't suggest a nightguard or synesodyne toothpaste.  

Good luck
Seeing a tmj specialist is advised.